Current Incidents:

Emergency Worker Program

The State of Washington utilizes a program known as the Emergency Worker Program (WAC 118-04) to protect volunteers during Search and Rescue activities.  This program is administered by your local Emergency Management entity and provides coverage for personal injury and damaged property to the volunteer.  To be covered, a volunteer must be registered as an emergency worker with a county within Washington State.  The preference is to have people registered prior to an incident (this ensures all paperwork is in place, including a background check).  When specialized personnel are needed, which are not already registered, provisions can be made to register them at the scene.  While this is possible, every attempt will be made to use volunteers which are already registered.

Questions and Answers:

Question:  I am a member of the Chelan County Sheriff's Volunteer Services Division, do I need to be an emergency worker?
Answer:  Yes.  If you participate in Search and Rescue operations, you need to become a registered Emergency Worker.

Question:  I have already completed my Chelan County Sheriff's Volunteer Services Division Application.  Do I need to complete more paperwork to become a registered Emergency Worker?
Answer:  Yes.  It requires completion of a state form.  It is real quick and only takes two minutes to fill out.

Question:  I was used on a Search and Rescue and used a lot of fuel.  Can I get that reimbursed?
Answer:  Possibly.  There is a high likelihood that you can be reimbursed.  Contact Chelan County Emergency Management to find out.

Question:  I lost some of my personal equipment on a Search and Rescue.  Is that reimbursable?
Answer:  Yes.  If it was your personal equipment and it was lost on a SAR with a state mission number, then the chances are it can be reimbursed.  Contact Chelan County Emergency Management for more information.

Question:  I am a volunteer, do I need to pass the NIMS Course?
Answer:  Yes, you must complete IS-100.a & NIMS-700.a.

Question: How old do I have to be to volunteer?
Answer: You must be 16 years of age to become a Volunteer. A valid Washington Drivers License is also required for all volunteers except those in Adcom.



Emergency Worker Application

Chelan County Volunteer Services Application

Junior Member Waiver

Emergency Worker Responsibilities Form

Training Mission Request (14 day notice)

Website Support

Copyright © 2004-2007, Chelan County Sheriff's Office, all rights reserved